Friday, September 01, 2006

Give yourself a break!

I am very much looking forward to some rest and relaxation this weekend, and the rainy, windy, and cool weather we are expecting will only help support me in my efforts. I am a very busy lady on the day to day. I have a full-time career by day. When I am not working, among other things, I am very tied to my parish, helping with RCIA (a new endeavor of mine!), being a youth group leader, being an extraordinary minister of holy communion at mass sometimes, attending my weekly hour of adoration, etc. On top of this, I need to find time to squeeze in at least some physical activity, errand running, dinners with friends to catch up, etc.

Why am I listing out my calendar of events for you? Because last night I simply went and got a haircut. After work I drove to the new salon that my friend Liz works at and I got a haircut. That’s it--nothing earth shattering, just something nice for me. After the haircut I went home. No errands to run, nothing to go pick up. I got changed into my PJs and sat in front of the TV and literally had a great time.

Despite what the world may tell us about being "active" and "on the go" and "out and about" and fabulous, regular rest and relaxation are needed--not suggested, but necessary. We all need a day of rest, a Sabbath. Because if we give and give and we never recharge then we will not have anything left to give. Our tank will be on "empty." Sometimes I feel guilty if I lay around. Sometimes I wonder why I don’t have anything to do on a particular day (completely ignoring the fact that the other 6 days of the week I was running around like a lunatic). More and more I find myself saying YAY when I have nothing to do. More and more I realize that I need to allow myself to receive as much as I give, even though I hate receiving and am often uncomfortable with it. We all need to give ourselves a much needed break whenever we need one (and even when we don’t “need” one). Let’s spend this Labor Day weekend completely allowing ourselves to rest, relax, recover, recharge, and anything else with an “r” you want to do :)

No comments: