Monday, August 21, 2006

Living behind the times...

OK, I’m starting to see a theme emerging on this blog (other than religious matters). It’s secular media and technology, or in my case, the lack thereof (if we can lump that into one big category, that is)…

My latest story has to do with digital cable, which I finally broke down and had installed this past weekend. If you find the fact that I only just got digital cable crazy then you should also know I only just started carrying my cell phone about 4 years ago (about 3 years after everyone else). Up until that time I kept my huge flip phone in the glove compartment of my car and used it only for emergencies (almost never). To this day my cell phone is still only used as a secondary phone to my land line, and it only rings about once or twice a week or so.

I don’t know why I am the way I am when it comes to things like this. God has blessed me with a good job that pays me a very fair wage. My only debt is my mortgage, so it’s really not for financial reasons that I shy away from the latest technology. It’s also not that I’m not savvy—within the first couple of hours of getting the digital cable installed I mastered the remote control, found all kind of free On Demand shows I want to see, I karaoked a Backstreet Boys song by myself in my living room, and more. I am having an absolute ball with my digital cable. Why didn’t I do this years ago? The price difference is only $5 from what I paid before and the picture quality is so much better. Even my parents got digital cable before me!

I think the reason why I resist current technology and thus live behind the times is because I sometimes see these things as complications instead of things that make life easier. Or is it simply the fact that I am very resistant to change in all areas of my life and therefore I withhold things from myself, regardless of whether they make life easier or not, because they are different?

Yes, I realize I just totally contradicted myself, and I think that the latter statement was the truth.

Lord, this ties directly into you too. No wonder I have such a hard time hearing you sometimes. Hold my breath and cover my ears like a stubborn kid because I don’t want to be presented with anything “different.” Please help open my heart to change. Please help keep me open to changes in my life that can make it better and make me better. Please help me to stop being complacent and step out and step up. The true definition of Holy Boldness, for sure…

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this entry, Lori. Not only did it make me giggle (re: karaoke), but also it struck a chord with me about resistance to change. I’m the girl who took her 35mm camera to a wedding last summer, and while my film was rewinding outside after the ceremony, my friend joked loudly, “What IS that?” – as if the noise was archaic. I finally broke down and asked for a digital camera for my birthday last August, which my parents generously gave to me. But here’s how eager I was to start using it: it sat unopened in my apartment for, oh, about 8 months. So I hear you about being resistant to things that are new and different!

But I never thought of applying it to my relationship with the Lord. Thank you for offering this perspective, which has made me more aware of my possible close-mindedness in this area of my life, and my need to pray for openness, flexibility, and boldness.

CatholicLady said...

Oh Linda, I still solely use a 35- mm camera myself! Add that to my list!

So great to hear from you--thank you for helping me see I am not alone in the struggle with change! As always, we will pray for each other. xxoo

Anonymous said...

Yes, last year I had to buy a camera battery while in Ireland. I found one, but it cost 11 Euro (roughly $14)! Plus I had to pay for a plastic bag for my purchases. But anyway, I feel encouraged knowing there are others still using 35mm cameras.