Friday, August 18, 2006

Anybody selling a van?

The whole situation with the man who has come forth saying that he accidentally killed Jon-Benet Ramsey 10 years ago has brought back a lot of fun memories for me. I know that using the word “fun” sounds a little grim at face value so please read on and let me explain.

When little Jon-Benet was killed I, along with a lot of other people, was really drawn into the story by the pictures of the little beauty queen who looked 5 going on 25, the weird family dynamics, etc (now, I did hear about this news story in real time, so I obviously must have read more papers and watched much more TV 10 years ago). I read almost everything I could get my hands on. I shook my fist at the TV at the way the Colorado police dept botched the evidence in the case, and so on. I was saddened by the way this little girl died. I wanted justice. The other person in my life who was very interested in this case was Mike’s mom, Linda.

She and I seriously compared a lot of notes on this case. A lot. I would get calls from Mike saying “(Loud sigh) my mom wants me to tell you she heard…” One of our favorite memories was the time she left a copy of the National Enquirer out for me at their house. In it was a big article about the case and on it Linda has written in black marker, “LORI—THIS IS NUTS!!” We laughed so hard at the time that we still say things are “nuts” to this day, all as homage to Linda.

Back then, Mike decided that she and I needed to take our investigative skills on the road. He wanted us to put all of our thoughts and theories to some real use. He suggested we purchase a van and head out on the open road to solve the case ourselves. It was hilarious to imagine us trying to investigate this case, but at the same time I could see it happening!

Fast forward to this week. I am walking to train after work on Wednesday and my cell phone rings. Mike tells me about the guy in Thailand coming forward. Of course the first thing I asked him was if he told him mom yet. He said that no he had not because he’s still mad she never bought the van. Then he thinks more about it and he decides that he’s mad at me too because if we had just gotten our acts together all those years ago the case could have been solved long before now.

I have avoided a lot of the details about that’s going on right now with this guy but I did hear some DJs on the radio talking about it this morning while I was getting ready to leave the house. The gears in my mind immediately started turning and I started coming to my own conclusions. It resulted in the following paraphrased text message exchange with Mike:

Me: This guy did not kill Jon-Benet. I think he’s just sick.

Mike: He admitted he’s lying?

Me: No, but there’s no way he could have done it based on the facts. The DNA will tell the true story. I am back on the case!

Mike: Good, my mom is out buying the van right now.

Me: Great! “This is nuts” rides again!

Mike: That’s what she’s getting painted on the side of the van as soon as she buys it!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL!!!!!!!
now thats what i call bloggin'

CatholicLady said...

Sweetheart, don't you think you're a little biased--the post was all about you and your mother!!

CatholicLady said...

His story just isn't adding up. He's saying he picked her up from school (she was killed on Dec 26--there was no school). His wife at the time claims they were in Alabama the day Jon-Benet was killed (Jon-Benet was in Colorado). His facts just don't make the sense they should--so that's why the DNA test is going to be the definitive answer because right now there is just too much discrepancy.

Anonymous said...

I know... but imagine if the roles were reversed. If i was blogging about you and judy.

CatholicLady said...

Well, come on, a blog about me and Judy (or just Judy, for that matter) would really take the cake.

Anonymous said...

It would be a must read during my coffee every day. Would sure beat the today show.