Thursday, August 14, 2008

What can I tell you?

I have been trying to think of something exciting to report but there's no one thing going on that's enough to sustain an entire post, but I can report a bunch of random things. This is really almost one of my odds and ends posts, I guess.

1. LC and DJ were given an opportunity to live in an apartment in a dorm at the private school LC coaches volleyball. Since LC's parents have just moved in with LC and DJ into the house they (the parents) bought, it's good timing. LC is going to be the equivalent of a dorm parent, I guess, and DJ gets to live there since he's her husband. I think it would be a bit odd for many of us at this age (single or married), but not for them. It's a really a great opportunity for them to save money and open the door to more possibilities for LC at this school in the future.

2. Caroline's 3rd son, Gavin Scott, was baptized on Sunday. Michelle is his godmother and Caroline's brother is his godfather. Six other babies were baptized along with Gavin, so it was quite a scene at the church. Caroline's parish offers the option of full immersion into the baptismal font and she did that with all her boys. Let me tell you, the babies who are fully immersed (instead of just having their heads sprinkled with holy water) get much louder applause and many more "oohs" and "ahhs." I think it's just because everyone loves hearing a naked little baby squeal in shock as his little bum hits the water.

3. Almost 2 months ago I started taking a new train to work that's only 3.5 miles from my house and every aspect of my entire life has changed for the better. That may sound extreme, but I assure you it's 100% true. I'd be hard pressed to try to express why this is the case in words, but please just believe me when I tell you it's true. It has a lot to do with the shortness of the car ride and getting off the train and literally already being "home."

4. I am a lousy American. I have not watched a single minute of the Olympics and nor do I want to. It does make me happy to see so many people so excited about it and that they are exhausted because they stay up late to see as much as they can. It's cute. I'm just not one of those people. I did watch the opening ceremonies but that's because I was with a big group of people and we got to eat Chinese food.

That's the latest here. There will be more excitement in Septmember. Omar comes the Friday before Labor day (just for lunch), Judy is coming for a weekend, Michelle and I may see Paula Deen in person, and Matt is taking me to a wedding!

No comments: