Monday, June 30, 2008

Who cares?

People don’t really care about people anymore, or so it seems.

It makes me sad. Folks can say a lot of things about me, because I am far from perfect, believe me, but one thing that I am is a listener. More important than just listening is that I then remember what people say to me. They go hand in hand really, because if you are truly, actively listening to what another human being is saying to you, you will remember it when they cross your mind or you see them later.

Maybe it strikes me as a sad indicator of where our society is headed today because it’s one thing (maybe one of the very few things) that I do very well and it's something at which so many others are poor. Maybe I’m especially sensitive because several people (not just one, so don't assume this is "you") have “forgotten” me and what's important in my life several times very recently. I have had people make sure they remember to tell me blow by blow details of the smallest things in their lives that I have remembered to follow-up with them on and ask them about and genuinely care about it and meanwhile big events in my own life have been forgotten and/or never asked about.

I think it's a sign of how self absorbed we all are.

Now, OK, admittedly I am a single woman with no children, I have a solid job that I am blessed to enjoy, a safe home, and new car. I have two healthy parents who I have a good relationship with and like. I realize that I may be in a better position to “remember” what’s going on in the lives of others because I am blessed enough to not have a lot of hard times weighing on me at present, praise Jesus. One could argue he or she has too many other things weighing them down to remember me and my life and maybe I’m being self absorbed. And to that I might say OK, I hear you and understand (for a finite period of time, at least!). What about people in the same boat as me without a lot weighing them down that still can’t be bothered? What’s their excuse?

I’m not trying to be a cry baby here (although I know I sure sound like one!). I am trying to figure out in my mind how you make something like this improve on a large scale instead of just standing by and watching it become worse and worse. You know that I personally have no problem with telling people when they have disappointed me and I do so. But what about all of the other disappointed people who won’t speak up for whatever reason? What about the people who don’t take the time to care about others and invest in what’s important to them—will they ever be able to truly share their lives, their homes, their dreams with another person? Is man actually able to be “an island” after all?

Is selfishness another reason why relationships don’t work out today? Or has everyone always been self-absorbed and I’m just finally catching on?

I think it stinks. And I don’t like it. Despite the fact that I am disappointed by those closest to me in addition to everyone else I know from time to time, I will persevere, and I will not stop caring and listening and asking and following up. I won’t change that part of me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Girlfriend,
Just wanted to let you know that I care and think of you often. Unfortunately it's often at a weird time--like while I'm driving or cooking or when you are at work, so it is hard to connect at that moment. Often I pray for you while I run--strange, but true--especially when I hear a George Michael song on my ipod. Anyway, just wanted to let you know, I do care--always and though distance and time aren't always on our side, I am always here for you.
Love & laughter,
Trisha

CatholicLady said...

Thanks so much T-bird! After I wrote the post I was afraid individual people would read the post and think I was talking about "them," you know? Almost as if reading something like that makes you look at yourself and say "Do I do that?"

This post was the culmination of some things I have been feeling across the board over time and it's not about any one person, but a lot of people--old and young, male and female! I hate being a complainer, since I have so little to actually complain about--but it was how I feeling and I captured those whiny feelings pretty well, I would say :)

Please know that I do know how much you love me and I know you know how much it means to me that you pray for me--that's the best thing anyone can do for me, and I mean that, because that is something that I always need!

Thanks so much for posting this comment and making me feel better--it's just what I needed!

I was just thinking the other day that it's time to mail you another archived photo from our scavenger hunt of 1989! I'll see which one I want to send you this time...Keep an eye on your mailbox!