Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Or, maybe, it is the best of the times?

Have you ever truly surprised yourself in the way you reacted to something?

My friend has been gone for over a week and I am ashamed to admit that I am not reacting in the way I imagined I would. I really amaze myself sometimes—and not because I’m amazing, but because I think I’m crazy. I had been crying for over a year at the mere possibility that he might leave someday and now that’s he’s actually gone I have to honestly admit that, if anything, I feel like the overall quality of my life has improved.

Why has it improved? My stress level has decreased. My outlook on things that I wouldn’t have even thought he would have affected has changed. It's weird, but I must admit I'd rather have it be this way than cry and miss someone who is starting off on a new life adventure not crying about me.

I still feel terrible that this is so. And also relieved.

I can’t explain it to you. I tried to explain it all to Wyndee last night after the kids were put to bed and we sat in her kitchen and talked. What I was saying made sense, but there’s one question that I don’t have the answer to. If he's slipped away without any action or reaction then what the heck was this all for? How do you invest in a person and love them and have them sometimes return that love and sometimes not return that love and then have them leave and you wind up breathing a sigh of relief even though there's a real possibility you will never lay eyes on them again?

This is one of the things that I don’t know the answer to right now and I don’t think I will know for a while. But, I am certain that one day, somehow, by God, it will be revealed it me what its purpose was, and what, in fact, it was all for.

2 comments:

syoung said...

I truley believe you learn something from every relationship you have in your life. It may not be clear now, but you met and experienced this person for a reason. One day, when what you learned surfaces due to another circumstance, you will hear yourself say, "Oh, I get it now'.

CatholicLady said...

...And isn't that sometimes the best part of a relationship? That moment either weeks, months, or years later when you suddenly see what it was all for?

I call it the "cooking the egg moment." I tell people, "...and one day you'll be cooking an egg and you will suddenly come to realize ______ (fill in the blank)."

It's one of those little things about life that keeps it all interesting. I look forward to knowing the fruit that this relationship will bear (for both of us) someday. Good thing we both eat eggs :)