Thursday, January 03, 2008

Operating from an excellent spirit...

A dear member of my parish family died in her sleep in December 23. She was only 60 years old (and looked like she was in her 40s, God love her!). She was one of those women in our parish who was a great example of what a servant of the Lord is. She was always around--praying in the adoration chapel for hours (and I mean hours), serving as an Extraordinary Minister at masses, smiling at everyone, praying for those she barely new, and so on.

I knew Gwen in passing, mostly from spending time sitting with her in the adoration chapel (although I am in there a mere blip of the time she used to be). She had the peace that comes with really knowing Jesus. I admired that in her--I manage to have it at times but at other times I lose it the second things go awry. She had it about her all of the time and I admired that constant peace that comes in really knowing what you know.

At her wake service, some of her friends and siblings spoke about her and one of her sisters said something that struck me very deeply. She said that her sister Gwen always "operated from an excellent spirit." I want that. I want it to someday be said of me that I operate from an excellent spirit.

Now if that isn't something that should be on everyone's list of new years resolutions, I don't know what is.

May this year be the year that we all begin to more completely and consistently operate from an excellent spirit.

Rest in peace Gwen--and pray for us that we will love, serve, and trust God like you did.

No comments: