Monday, April 09, 2007

Asking for forgiveness when it's due...

Last week I went to confession and the day after I had gone, I knew there was something else that I needed to do while we still had a couple of days of Lent left. I took the opportunity to ask for forgiveness from an old friend of mine who I no longer speak to. It's really not easy for me to admit when I am wrong (it's definitely one of my biggest character flaws, especially since I am always so sure I am right!).

In this case, it wasn't wrong that we parted ways, but the way I went about it was all wrong. I didn't feel like I am necessarily supposed to go back to the way things were in the past with this person, but I did feel like I owed someone who I used to call my friend, and a close one at that, some sort of explanation of why I did what I did and extend an apology for any confusion and hurt feelings she may have felt at my hands. I also wanted her to know she was not singled out and that I actually stepped away from from quite a few people last year.

The e-mail that I sent her was, thankfully, well received and she is doing well and I feel good in knowing that my old friend and I are actually better people on the other side of this past year. Even though we are no longer fixtures in one another's lives, we still pray for one another and want each other to be blessed and happy. And, if and when our paths cross again we will be happy to see each other and not feel weird or nervous about how the other may feel or react.

Sometimes by admitting we have done something wrong we can actually make things very right. Kind of like the sacrament of Confession in a way, no?

No comments: