Friday, January 26, 2007

Words may be cheap, but...

I need everyone to start to pray for me and the writing of my book. I started the book about a year and a half ago and I am ashamed to say that I only have 17 pages written. That’s a borderline disgrace, especially when I tell you that I am writing this book for God’s glory.

I have always considered myself a writer of sorts. Although my career is in publishing, I write nothing for my job. I am a reasonably good writer and really have always had the talent. I consider the talent one of my gifts from God, if you will...My grammar is not always as good as it should be (and I majored in English in college no less, although I always tell people--English majors read books and poems, no one was showing me how to write grammatically correct sentences in college. Maybe they assumed I already knew that!)

I am a good writer because I am good with words. I am a pretty good story teller and I write in a similar manner to how I speak. I submitted 80 pages of a novel in progress as my senior thesis for the honors program I was in in college. For several years right after college I actually tweaked that book in many ways, but kept working on it.

Then my entire life changed when I came to allow the Lord to start to work on me and I let Him into all of the areas of my life. A couple of years after that (about a year and half ago) I knew the kind of story God wanted me to tell. It was a completely different story from what I had been working on for all of those years, but I trusted God and started the story over from page one. My story. A memoir about my “conversion.” The first 17 pages are exciting (even E thinks so--he edited the first 16 pages a year ago, but is literally furious when we talk about it now because I have had no forward momentum. He expects better from me). It’s a story that secular readers will really enjoy and holy rollers can get into too--kind of like me--relatable to all sorts of folks.

I know God wants me to do this. I want to do this. I just have to actually commit myself to a regular writing schedule and I have to make this happen. I have to make it happen so I can be true to something I believe God wants me to do for Him and for others. I ask for all of your prayers that I will not be lazy and I will see this project through. It doesn’t have to be finished in a few months, but it has to be worked on on an on-going basis.

Please pray for my commitment to this. As always, I’m praying for all of you.

2 comments:

Jim said...

Yes.... for sure prayers are there. I have the same deal... been working on a book and not at the point where I am doing it on a dai;y deal so hard to commit but i want to

CatholicLady said...

Thanks so much for the prayers Jim--I'll be writing a larger post about this at some point, but I feel like 2007 has to be about RESULTS for me. Enough talking--more action. I'm ready to make things happen...

Praying for you as well!