Monday, October 22, 2007

Who is your nail technician?

I go get my nails done every two weeks on Saturday mornings and have been doing this for a very long time. Consecutively, the longest stretch has been the last 10 years. I keep my nails longer than most people do in 2007, and even though I do realize that long nails are no longer considered “in style,” I feel like long nails make my hands look more attractive than short nails do, so, I am willing to go against the grain on this one.

I have known the woman who does my nails (my "nail technician") this entire span of ten years. We get along great. She is a few years younger than my parents, but is single and very much a free spirit. She curses like there’s no tomorrow and says any and everything that’s on her mind without apology. Sometimes she thinks so fast that she’ll throw out a common phrase that’s not quite correct. For example, this past Saturday she was making mention that possession is nine-tenths of the law and instead she said that possession was “9%” of the law.

She adds something to my life that I just wouldn’t have otherwise. Our relationship is one that exists only two times a month for only about 90 minutes each time, but we always pick our conversations up right where they left off. We are very different in our lifestyles, beliefs, and so on, but we still manage to see eye to eye on a lot of things and still have a lot of respect for one another. Even though I only see her twice a month, over such a long span of time I feel like we have gotten to know one another pretty well.

I think people like my nail technician keep us grounded and keep us from getting too boring. If we only surround ourselves with one “type” of person we can’t stay relevant in the real world. Even if we don’t agree with everyone we know, it’s important to at least know what else and who else is out there trying to live in this world, and realize that at the end of the day, even if we are living really different types of lives, we ultimately want a lot of the same things and dream the same dreams.

Think about the people in your life who are your “nail technicians.” I'd like to hear about them.

1 comment:

syoung said...

My feelings are the same for my hair dresser, Jackie. She is a newly married 40 year old Cuban woman with 2 high school-aged children and an ex-husband. She is truly fantastic in so many ways. I have been seeing her once a month for the past 4 years. We quickly bonded as we see the world very much the same even though our backgrounds are completely different. When I was going through my separation her friendship and love for me took center-stage. She really helped my spirit during that time. I can’t imagine not having her friendship now.