Friday, February 23, 2007

confirmation (with a small "c")

We so-called “religious types” like to talk about receiving “confirmation” in situations. That’s confirmation with a small “c” and not the sacrament Confirmation (with a large “C”).

I try to allow the Lord to lead me (as much as I am willing to allow Him) and a lot of times it’s only through confirmation that I can begin to know that I am heading down the right paths. The Lord will sometimes place someone in your life at the right time to tell you something that you need to hear.

I recently received confirmation from two different friends in the same week about my youth ministry certification. My friend Paul (who I went to visit in California in 2005, but who is now back in NJ) responded well when I told him that I have been a youth minister for the past half a year. He told me youth ministry “makes so much sense” for me.

My friend Diana, who relocated to Florida a couple of years ago, wrote me the following message when I shared the same news with her:

When you told me about your becoming a youth minister, I thought "that is a perfect fit." I can't think of anyone more appropriate than you. The kids will certainly be able to identify with you because you are young and hip, you have a nice career going, and you certainly can understand their issues very readily as well. Absolutely PERFECT! :) I'll say a special prayer in church tonight thanking God for recognizing your wonderful qualities and channelling them into our youth.

I can’t tell you how blessed I felt when I read that. Not so I can get all puffed up about how young and hip and relatable I may be, but because I have been so wrapped up in trying to “do” youth ministry that I actually never took any time to “see” that I am perhaps really doing God’s will and that he is giving me a gift that I can share with the youth.

Lord, give me eyes to "see" what I am "doing" for Your kingdom.

Everyone, please pray for Jim’s brother who passed away last Saturday. Eternal rest, grant unto him.

No comments: